Warning: file_get_contents(http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline/Goodplaya.json) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden in /home/goodplay/public_html/wp-content/themes/gp2012/functions.php on line 54

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/goodplay/public_html/wp-content/themes/gp2012/functions.php on line 34

Arsenal 2 Watford 0: The giddiness of the unknown

Arsenal 2 Watford 0
From Goodplaya at the Emirates

PERHAPS it was all in my imagination. But on my first visit to the Arsenal since May, I was struck by the crowd reaction when Mesut Ozil scored our second. I’m not saying it was hug thy neighbour and fall into the row in front time. But there was a brief giddiness that I can’t really remember sensing for a long time. Suddenly, we’ve won five on the spin and for now at least we can dream a little.

For sure, the squad doesn’t look comparable to that of others. But we can dream just a bit because gone is the sense that whatever positive we do, we’ll soon come a cropper in exactly the same way we did the season before and the season before that and the season before that.

I absolutely love it when a game is hard to call and I love it even more when a game is still hard to call after 70 minutes. Watford today were bloody good. But after a draw and loss in their last two games, they reminded me of what we were like in the final games of 2007-08 post that draw at Birmingham. Essentially, you can be doing everything right and exactly as you did when you were all conquering but the ball no longer runs for you.

Unai Emery’s substitutions were fascinating to observe: Iwobi for Ramsey and then Welbeck for Aubameyang. A world away from what Wenger would have done. Torreira and Xhaka would probably have made way for Welbeck and Mkhitaryan. It turned out Iwobi and Welbeck would make decisive contributions to both goals but it would be absurd to pretend that Watford weren’t the most likely winners until our opener.

But in a way that is what made it all the sweeter. This wasn’t so much a lucky win as one that was eked out thanks to some sharp play when it mattered.

Anyway, it was good to be back and it’s nice not knowing quite what to expect.

37 Responses to “Arsenal 2 Watford 0: The giddiness of the unknown”

It’s so good to have decisive substitutions after 60 minutes as well, rather than having to wait for the obligatory 70 before anything can change.

Arsenal fans have become so unaccustomed to innovation and novelty that the slightest things can feel like gettin a new car.

On the positive side, we keep on winning despite some very mediocre performances. But a win is a win and 5 out of 7 in the league puts us only 4 behind. Change was needed and we have certainly seen that in many aspects of our play and the club’s operations. There is plenty of room for further improvement.

On the negative side, several players have not played well: Aubameyang, Ozil, Ramsey in particular. Defensively, we’re giving up too many chances. Mustafi still doesn’t convince. Sokratis has been decent if not majorly tested – jury is still out. Right now, I would pick Holding and Sokratis until such time as Koscielny returns.

Still a long way to go but I’m happy with Emery’s work so far. We’re still far too open defensively & we’re not that fluent going forward yet but there are definite positives.

Biggest one (by far) is the mental side. Arsene’s sides the last few seasons you just knew would fall away when things got tough. We’ve eked out wins the last while without playing great….and even the losses against City/Chelsea….2-0 down relatively early in both – you know that could easily have ended up 5-0 or 6-0 in seasons past….

As Elvis said making changes based on what’s actually happening in the game as opposed to making pre-planned changes at 70 minutes feels fantastic when it should really have been the norm.

I think we could sneak the top 4. If Arsene had stayed the chances of that were zero. Onwards & upwards hopefully !

At times the football under Arsene was sublime but even in the glory years of 2002-04 he was limited tactically and very rarely turned a game with substitutions or formation changes. That is something I am looking forward to with Emery, even if we have to become accustomed to winning ugly a bit more. Introducing Iwobi early was just the job on Saturday. He has improved as a player under Emery already.

Best performance yet. And without Ozil…interesting. The Ramsey goal was outstanding, and I’m not just talking about the finish. Fulham aren’t great – nonetheless I thought we were more solid all round. Still a few dodgy moments playing the ball out from the back, but otherwise really good. And you have to love Torreira.

So much to love about how this team are developing. Emery is rotating this group of players with mastery in a way that is so refreshing to see with Welbeck, Holding and Iwobi now looking like fully fledged, important members of this squad. A 4-4-2 formation was it yesterday? Tantalising with the strikers we have at our disposal. We’re starting to see what a different style, ethos and approach can do at the club.

I keep thinking the bubble will burst and it may well do with the defence still far from perfect but things are looking so much better and progressive. 12 months ago we were still persevering with the likes of Theo, Coquelin and Giroud but we now simply have players better suited. Still a lot to do but a chance for top 4 and a cup seems realistic. I think Emery quite fancies the Europa League but it could mean facing one of Chelsea or Spurs (sitting 3rd in their CL group) if we do need to progress. Anyway great optimism as we head into the International break…

What a game to watch last night. It said so much about the progress of this team and the development of the players under Emery. The slow start to games is a bit of a mystery but enjoying watching this Arsenal more than I can remember for about 10 years.

It is very exciting. First half was terrifying defensively but I’m consoling myself with the fact that (if Kos gets back) only 1 of our first choice back 4 were playing….but so many of the things we wanted addressed appear to have been done : being a big name no longer guarantees you a start – you need to earn it; subs are being made based on what is happening rather than being pre-planned; formations & tactics are being changed mid game; there seems to be no panic when things aren’t going our away (actual mental strength)……and after every game Emery is demanding more & more.
    Keep it up sir – we love what you are doing !!

Enjoying the comedy gold from Tottenham on their embarrassing stadium delays. “The only place in London to watch the Champions League!” Ha ha ha…

Bugger! Fair play to Palace, they deserved the point. Arsenal just didn’t look clinical enough today. Too many stray balls and a lack of composure and decisiveness. Mustafi deserves a bollockin yet again for going to ground when he didn’t need to. An uncomfortable watch throughout and I guess dropped points were always going to come at some point the way we play sometimes. The returns of Monreal, Kos and Sokratis can’t come soon enough. That said, Rob Holding looked decent enough. Shame, we could have sneaked it today with a bit more composure.

To be honest that has been coming. Arsenal have ridden their luck a bit on this run of victories; clear penalties not given against us, red cards avoided, wasteful opponents etc. If Arsenal can learn to start games with greater intensity and pace, 4th may be possible.

Eleven straight wins after the tough start is good. We would all have bitten someone’s hand off if they had offered us 11 straight wins and a draw after Stamford Bridge. Let’s see if we can compete with Liverpool in a week’s time. The acid test.

Lucas Torreira is fast becoming my favourite player. I saw him play quite a bit at the world cup and he did well, mostly on the defensive side of the game. In recent weeks, I’ve noticed how good a player he is going forward as well. His passing, short and long, is very accurate. He holds off players and has that feint that sucks players in, allowing him to dart quickly in the opposite direction. He’s not as good as Santi Cazorla maybe, but not too far off – but that isn’t the player we were looking for anyway. Way better than Coquelin when on the ball, and also better defensively. Torreira is no more than 5’5, but adds immense calm and presence. The defensive midfielder that we have been wanting for years – and I think it will also allow Xhaka to improve as well.
    That said, our defensive record still needs to improve. Mustafi is still my biggest concern. Kos is not far away and I’m interested to see how a Kos/Socratis combination might fare. Right now, I would also pick Holding ahead of Mustafi.
    The 3rd goal against Leicester was out of this world. Ozil at his best. But great to see that Emery manages from game to game and wasn’t afraid to remove Ozil in today’s game.
    Agree with Elvis…I think we would all have bitten someone’s hand off for the record since the Chelsea game. Liverpool is the first major test since then.

I watched quite a bit of the Hoffenheim game yesterday. Really excited by what Nelson is doing. Hopefully he can keep it up and return to Arsenal as a bona fide 1st team player next season.

Yeah, I agree with Elvis too. In the cold light of day it’s good to remember that we would never have even got a point from that game 12 months ago. The heartening thing for me is that I have every faith in the back room staff to identify and recruit the players we need to be more solid. I also have the faith in the manager to mould those new players on current evidence. I keep having to remind myself of patience but am more optimistic than I thought I’d be.

Interesting point on Nelson SLC. Palace showed what good wingers can do to the opposition defence. I wouldn’t mind seeing Zaha in an Arsenal shirt but maybe Nelson can be our version. I thought Welbeck looked lively when he cane on. A very useful player to have around the first team but suspect he’s on his way come the end of the season but would love him to stay as back
    Up.

I’d agree for centre half. Enough is enough for Mustafi. (35m – what was Arsene thinking ??) I’d play Sokratis & Holding v Liverpool. (and pray Bellerin & Monreal are fit in time)
    Hopefully we will see Kos tomorrow too v Blackpool & he may be ready for more serious action in a couple of weeks.
    Yeah, winning run was always likely to end soon. We were so far off the other 5 big teams last season that starting out, I thought we needed a miracle to finish in top 4 this season…but I think now we have a decent shout.
    Totally agree on Torreira – super player.

Yes, agree about Torreira; our most important signing in years. We have been missing a player of his position and quality since Gilberto Silva left.

Had we signed someone like Torreira when we moved into the new stadium, I think we would have won a couple of league titles (2008 and 2016) and possibly more. Imagine the defensive and positional nous of Torreira with the creativity and dynamism of Fabregas 2006-2012.

I thought that was a terrific result on Saturday. So used to seeing us get thumped by Liverpool of late, I feared our defence would be perfect fodder for them again but we certainly stood up to the challenge. Torreira and Xhaka look fantastic as our midfield duo and certainly took control in the middle and took some of the pressure off at the back. In defence, Rob Holding just gets on with the job without fuss and appears to have a cool head. He’s fast becoming my favoured centred half at Arsenal. Mustafi can look quite solid in between the terrible mistakes and had one of his better days. Emery, is certainly getting the best out of what he’s got.

I still question how we utilise a striker like Abamayang. He seems wasted out on the wing and when Emery took him off, I was convinced he was making an error. Yet, Lacazette went on to get the equaliser from an Iwobi pass. I don’t know how we solve this one but I would like to see a bit more game time for Abamayang in the middle to see what he can do. He is after all one of Europe’s most prolific strikers. Maybe Emery feels he can do more with Lacazzette at 27 now and in the future than Abamayang at 29 years of age. It remains an interesting and good problem. Perhaps at the business end of the season we will see the benefit of two top quality forwards.

If the Liverpool game set down a marker of how good we are then the two games against Spurs and Utd on the horizon will perhaps tell us if can beat our two nearest rivals for a top 4 finish.

I think Emery has not put Aubameyang down the middle because he can see he lacks the physical strength needed to hold the ball up against two central defenders snapping around him. That is not his game. He is a van Nistelrooy type striker who has an instinct for where the ball is going to go in the box and is a similarly clinical finisher. When he comes on as a sub, he has a fantastic davantage as an impact attacker against a tiring defence. Iwobi does that well too.

Yeah, I think Auba is the most natural finisher we have for quite a while but Laca is a better all round player. (I’d say he is a nightmare to play against for a centre half)
    I know I’ve said this before but would love to see us play a game in a 4-4-2 with both of them & see how it goes. With hard working guys like AMN/Welbeck/Iwobi in the wide positions I think it could work…..but then you have the ‘where do you put the 350k a week man’ problem again.

Anyway, loved the Liverpool performance. Have to build on it now with a win on Sunday to get back in the winning habit.

Agree on Rob Holding, MDP. Really looking the part at the minute. Great to see.

What a game !! We have ourselves a serious manager gents, no mistake about it. North London is Red !!

Agreed, I’m still buzzing!

What a match! Loving it right now. Emery has done very well, from playing with tactics and formations to dropping Ozil and others as needed. Not something Arsene would have done.
    I am concerned about the Ramsey situation. Is it just a case of bargaining or is he really leaving? I think we should keep him personally – he offers something that you don’t see in the rest of the midfield options: a willingness to make runs into the box that often have end product.
    Did I say how much I love Torreira?! Possibly our best signing since Vieira? Probably better to dampen expectations a little but he has been immense in recent games.

SLC Gunner I agree – Rambo gives us a heap of energy and drive and I can’t see why we’d let him go.

Thoughts on Ozil situation? If we are to sell him, now is the time. Not sure we’ll get a lot for a 30-yr old, but if he’s not going to play regularly, why keep him and his 300,000+ per week wage on the books? I do think we should keep Ramsey as I state above.

Don’t think any Arsenal fan could argue a case for keeping Ozil right now. He’s super talented but rarely produces his best form and isn’t a great fit into Emery’s style and work ethic. A new contract agreed out of desperation in desperate times. Will anyone take on those wages or will he take a pay drop? I’ll be surprised if we can offload him easily.

As for Ramsey… on the face of it, who would you rather have in the squad out of Ramsey, Ozil and Mkhitaryan? Ramsey is far and away the most consistent and effective of those three. He still has a sharp eye for goal and is a proven match winner. I think that’s the reason for this discussion as well as people scratching their heads as to why it’s come to player of his quality leaving on a free. I’ve always had a real soft spot for Ramsey and many of us will see him go with a heavy heart but quietly I’m pleased to see a bit of ruthlessness that wasn’t there under Wenger. Emery, Sven and Raul are most likely hatching a plan to bring in some wide attacking players that fit the system and style of play a bit more. Emery seems to have his favourites through the centre and Ozil and Ramsey are surplus to requirements. We’ve long talked of the lack of balance to this side and maybe steps are being taken to sort it out.

It’s been a bumpy couple of weeks. The Holding injury has been a huge blow. I’ve heard some people play down his talent trying not to get too carried away but I’m a fan and the stability and consistency he brought to the back four was clear to see. Quietly getting on with the job and doing everything asked of him. I wish him a speedy recovery and I’m sure he’ll play his part again next season. Hopefully Kos can come in now and find some sharpness to help us through the Christmas schedule. Maybe we can also hope for a bit of transfer action in this area as well. It would be a shame to see such a great start to the season undone by our problems at the back. On the plus side… Monreal is back and I hear Bellerin is ahead of schedule. I’m even excited to hear that Mustafi has returned to training just to get Xhaka back into the middle. I’m sure between Emery and the management/scouting/acquisition team, everything possible is being done. How refreshing to say that.

Merry Christmas one and all. Here’s hoping for a return to 3pts against Burnley!

How’s everyone feeling after the recent dip? Whilst we enjoyed the good run it was kind of inevitable that our defence would crumble at some point.

I’m still upbeat that we’ve unearthed two amazing talents in defensive midfield with Torreira and Guendouzi. A problem position and huge aggravation for so long. We have such a potent strike pairing with Auba and Laca. We also have a really decent manager who needs time to make his mark and work with Sven and Raul to mould a new look Arsenal. I just hope we can act quickly in defence in Jan and the summer windows so we don’t waste the talent we already have. Especially Auba who’s now pushing towards the end of his career.

I’m not surprised things faltered when Holding got a long term injury and then Bellerin was ruled out for the festive period. Those two were real highlights of the unbeaten run. Holding isn’t a classic centre half and maybe too young to properly judge but he brought consistency, intelligence and calm. The opposite to his counterparts of Mustafi and Sokratis. I could see Sokratis bringing something to a stable defence but he seems too maverick when the chips are down. Time will tell if we can still rely on Monreal and Kos.

Aside from defence the biggest challenge will be dealing with the Ozil and Ramsey situations. The former seems the most unlikely to be sorted quickly and I suspect will drag for sometime yet.

So, it feels familiar on the pitch but I’m more optimistic we can bring about change then before, I just hope it comes quickly in the notoriously difficult January transfer window.

Happy New Year to you all!

27. Slc gunner says:

The last few games have been a reality check. I’m willing to give Emery time, but he has inherited a flawed squad in serious need of investment. Defensively we have been a shambles all season. 30 goals conceded already. Mustafi has to be one of the worst buys of the Wenger reign. He has had far too many chances. He’s slow, rash and error-prone. Sokratis was poor against Liverpool, but overall I think he’s been decent, definitely better than Mustafi. The idiots have been out for Lichsteiner. He hasn’t been great, but he was a freebie, and been ok prior to this. I would like to think that a Van Dijk type signing would solve all our problems, but I’m not sure we’re in the same state as Liverpool at this time last year – but it would certainly go a long way. The problem is: that player does not appear to be on the market and we don’t have 100m.
    As for Ozil and Ramsey: hopefully our contract management will improve and we don’t continue to end up in these situations. Did the board not know at the time of the Ozil re-signing that Wenger was on his way out? He’s unlikely to command the 40m in transfer fee that we paid for him – or more importantly the same wages. We’re stuck with him – and not getting anything out of him.
    Right now, I’m not optimistic about finishing Top 4, but we are still in the hunt. We are a long way from contending for a title. Here’s hoping Emery and the management team can work some magic in 2019.
    Happy New Year!

A Van Dijk type signing would be amazing but a 25mil centre half signing seems more realistic. In a similar vein to Torreira – early 20’s talented and with a bit of experience already under their belt. We’ve also got the talented, highly rated but still raw Mavropanos returning to training so may see him get a few games as well.

It’ll be interesting to see how they handle Ozil. His contract was done out of panic and the fear of losing two big name players. I wonder if we may have to lose money and pay off some of his contract if he really isn’t part of any plan. He seems like the last player Emery wants to build the team around and we won’t get much from him in a bit part role as the last few months have proved.

Whatever happens, the next transfer moves have to be about the next couple of seasons and not a short term fix. However hard it is watching the clumsiness in our defence, I’d rather wait and get the right players. That said, another season outside the Champions League could be extremely damaging so I hope we pull out all the stops to start getting things sorted now. Top 4 seems a bit out of reach as things stand but maybe a good run in the Europa isn’t out if the question with a few adjustments?

Happy New Year all.
    Well, it’s been a humbling few weeks. I think some of us (me for one !) got a bit carried away with Emery’s start. I think the pong unbeaten run hid the lack of both quality & depth in the squad he inherited from Arsene. With a few injuries & tiredness kicking in, it has become a struggle…..but we need to focus on the positives & hope the board support him : the team are definitely working harder, there seems to be a real mental strength for a change (& a touch of badness in the squad now which is a great thing – like slc I don’t get the abuse for Lichsteiner & I have no doubt he has been key in the ‘toughening up’ process in the squad) & places in the team have to be earned. I think he’s also reconnected the side with the fans a bit & the atmosphere seems to be better. (I haven’t been in person yet but have a couple of trips over lined up shortly – I hope I’m right about the atmosphere)
    And I think the first transfer window post-Arsene has definitely been a success. Still have a few doubts about Leno but hopefully he will get there – definitely an upgrade on Ospina for me at least.

So fingers crossed. We wait to see what will happen this month.

30. Timothy Edwards says:

‘Playa! You ok sir? Hoping you haven’t gone the way of arseweb!

Yes, the performances and results against Southampton, Spurs (cup) and Liverpool brought us back down with a bump.

To be honest, we rode our luck on the unbeaten run, profiting from some lucky refereeing decisions, inexplicable let-offs by opposing strikers and very weak opponents in the cups. But it wasn’t all luck either. The real highlight was Spurs (league). If that is a sign of what is to come, even if it takes a year or two to get there, I’ll be very, very happy.

Players: On the injury front, it’s a real pity about Holding and, to a lesser extent, Welbeck. I rate Monreal and he has been missed.
    Leno looks OK, not outstanding, but better than the likes of Ospina and Almunia.
    I hope Mavropanos gets a chance to show us what he’s got. Sokratis is OK. I like his attitude even though he’s got an error in him. Mustafi is the new Sylvestre. Taxi please. Lichtsteiner is a one-year sticking plaster for a club with limited funds largely due to industrial-scale contract mismanagement.
    Torreira and Guendouzi are very good buys.
    Ozil is, as usual, an enigma; certainly not worth his huge salary, but our best player on his day. It’s just that his day is quite a rare thing.
    Aubameyang is excellent up front and I’m satisfied with Lacazette.
    Youngsters Willock and Smith Rowe look ready for the first team squad. None of the other academy players have shown enough yet to convince me they have a future at Arsenal. I’m old enough to remember Tony Adams, David Rocastle, Michael Thomas, Paul Davis and Paul Merson (and to a lesser extent Kevin Campbell and David Hillier) coming out of the academy together and winning trophies in the late 80s and early 90s. It would be great to see another generation like that.

Well… shit loads has happened since we last posted…

I don’t feel too down beat about the transfer window. A centre half would have been top of the list by a long way but with 5 centre halves already on the books two of which are 33 and 30. One which is simply not good enough and needs to be shipped out and the other two are young excellent prospects. With that in mind the next acquisition has to be spot on, one of experience and pedigree to slot in as a first choice, not a stop gap. Very unlikely in January and I’d rather get it right in the summer than end up with another player that isn’t the right quality on a long term contract with the above in mind. A short term loan option was always going to be a long shot with Gary Cahill seemingly the only possibility that I heard of and not a popular option.

It’s still hard to work out the ‘loans only’ stance by the club in this window. One of the richest clubs in Europe saying no funds available is very strange. I’ve heard many theories but I hope it’s a case of money will be better spent in the summer when we know where we stand in the champions league or not, with sponsorship money etc and who we’ve offloaded known as well (there seems to be a pretty strong effort to drive Özil and his huge wages out of the club right now).

Denis Suárez seems like a interesting loan move. Not the out and out classic winger I think I’d prefer but sounds decent and his history with Emery will hopefully mean he settles quick. Whether he offers anything more than Ramsey or Iwobi remains to be seen but he gives us another option when the attack is stuttering and struggling to link between midfield and up top.

I was sad to hear Sven Mislintat is going. I’d bought into him being one of the sharpest eyes in football scouting from what I’ve read. Shame, but suspect there were too many big personalities at the top for things to work out. I still think we have a very decent manager and some well connected people still remaining so hope that sorts itself out.

The ultimate goal now is Champions League football with the rewards obvious when it comes to doing the summer business. We’ve just got to give it everything we’ve got with two routes very much alive. If I was a betting man I’d struggle to put my money behind us but with Chelsea imploding and United maybe having enjoyed an easier run of games it’s still all to play for. Limp through this month and hopefully we can rekindle the Kos and Sokratis partnership (in time for Europa) that was starting to show real promise. Our two strikers are as good as anything out there pretty much, we just need to get that midfield functioning better with the two strikers and who knows.

City next, away. If there’s one fixture you would mark off as a loss it’s that. Avoid humiliation and try and get something. City will be fired up after the last result and see our defence as easy fodder. I expect a 5 man defence with Kos, Mustafi and Monreal as the 3. Let’s hope we can at least, play to our best and give them a good go.

What a performance and what a result! No games left against the top 6 now (I know, I know that we tend to throw it away on our travels at the most unexpected/expected places in the lower half of the table and against Bate or Rennes but great not to be playing the top teams). Sure all the challengers for top 4 will drop points but we’re in a tantalising position looking at the remaining fixtures. This certainly feels better and all set up for a competitive finish. Probably reliant on keeping Kos and Sokratis running at centre back. Leno excellent today and Maitland-Niles exceptional for a youngster. Keep it up Arsenal!

Great week before the break. Chance to rest a few weary bodies for what is (hopefully) an exciting end to the season. Napoli the toughest draw in Europa but no reason we can’t beat them. A top 4 finish & a trophy would be a superb first season for Emery all things considered. It’s all set up nicely now, have to follow it through. Come on Arsenal !

35. Slc gunner says:

After a period of indifferent results, we have definitely turned it around recently. Great results against Utd, Spurs and Rennes in particular. While our run-in does look ok on paper having played all our big 6 matches, I would be cautious. You can divide the league into 4 segments: top 6 (or top 2 + next 4), the middle 6 (7-12), the relegation zone (13-18) and the bottom 2 (already relegated. We have 4 away games against the middle 6. Watford and Wolves have been particularly strong this season, and Everton beat Chelsea at Goodison. My point being: there are no easy games. Even games against teams in the relegation zone are not easy: they are all fighting for their lives. We have 4 games against teams in that group (3 at home). So overall, no easy pickings. I hope the team and management has enough experience to realise this and to make sure there is no complacency. We are in a great position.
    It’s been an interesting season. It is really hard to predcit Emery’s lineups from week to week. Just when I think I have him figured out, he changes system again. I think he has tried all permutations that you could think of. It makes me wonder if he will persist with this approach next season. Is this the year of experimentation with next year being one of greater consistency in system and starting 11. There are arguments for and against either approach: players certainly feel more comfortable if they are not chopping and changing that much. The counter-argument is that by keeping things fluid, you are adapting to the opposition and keeping them guessing at the same time. In the long run, I think I would prefer the former approach (greater consistency), but I am happy as long as we are successful.

36. Slc gunner says:

Hopefully the kick in the arse that was needed today. We were brutal. Players really need to dig in for the remaining away games. They are all going to be battles.

It just showed the task in hand. We’re a different team away from home where all our flaws seem to get exposed. It makes me even more nervous with Sokratis banned for the next two games. I hope it does serve as a kick up the arse as I’m sure Watford and Wolves will fight just as hard and provide a similar test to that of Everton.

A hard game to watch yesterday but still fun to be in the fight, just need to give the same level away from home that we showed against Spurs at Wembley and get ourselves over the line…